How to extinguish a fire in a home or business?

Have you ever experienced a fire in the kitchen? Was it a grease, gas or electrical fire?

It is important to keep a “charged” fire extinguisher” close to the kitchen area at all times. Kitchen fires can get out hand very quickly, which could result into severe damage to your home or business. If you don’t have a fire extinguisher, there are a few methods that can result in putting out a fire

  • If you have a grease fire in a pan, quickly place a lid over the top to choke out the oxygen supply.
  • Keep an open box of baking soda next to the stove. You can dump these onto the grease fire, but “NEVER” use water!

Some common fire extinguishers to use are listed below:

Class “A” Extinguisher – These are primarily used for everyday materials such as wood, paper, cardboard and some plastics. A numerical rating on the side lets you know how much water it holds and the square footage it can extinguish. This is generally used for most rooms in the home or business, with exception to the kitchen.

Class “B” Extinguisher – These are used on combustible or flammable liquids, i.e, oil, grease, gasoline, kerosene and grease. This carries a numerical rating on the side indicating the square footage it can extinguish. This is generally stored in a commercial shop or home garage.

Class “C” Extinguisher – These contain a non-conductive agent, not water, because they involve electrical equipment. Using a Class “C” extinguisher guards against “electrical shock”. These are good to use on electrical devices including outlets, breaker boxes or any electrical appliance.

Class “D” Extinguisher – These are primarily used in an area  with chemicals. These put out fires involving combustible metals, including sodium, potassium, magnesium and titanium. These do not carry numerical ratings and are generally not used in a home environment

Class “K” Extinguisher – These were developed for use in commercial kitchen fires involving deep fat fryers. These are not designed for household use.

“ABC” Fire Extinguishers – These contain monoammonium phosphate, a dry chemical that can extinguish fires of class A, B, and C. It is the most commonly used fire extinguisher found in both homes and businesses.



This entry was posted in General and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.


  1. Posted July 13, 2012 at 9:39 am | Permalink

    Howdy. I came across your weblog your online. This is a good write-up. I am going to be sure to save the idea along with come back to get more info of one’s tips. Thanks for your article. it is going to certainly return.

  2. Posted July 18, 2012 at 6:50 am | Permalink

    Thank you for listing the classifications of extinguishers.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *